Thursday, May 2, 2013

[batavia-news] Lipstick-free

 

 
 

Lipstick-free

madam badrya 223x300 Lipstick free

Badrya Darwish

It was surprising for me that the Turkish Airlines has banned their hostesses from wearing bright-colored lipstick. To me, thanks to the flood of serials we have been watching on our channels over the past decade, I was under the impression that the Turks are very liberal. Actually, their serials had immensely influenced society everywhere in the Middle East. In Jordan, taxi drivers are narrating or waiting for this or that Turkish serial to start. The same is the case with Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Lebanon too.

Everyone is affected and becomes a fan of the Turkish soap operas. I am sure all of you have heard of Noor and Mohannad. How famous did Mohannad become in the Arab World? He has become a star. Girls put his pictures everywhere – in their rooms, cars or on the walls of their cabinets. He is their dream man. The same applies to Noor and other serials from Turkey.

I cannot recall their names because I myself am not a soap opera fan, but sometimes it is forced on me. Once I was in a taxi in Amman riding with my sister. The driver was in a rush and was speeding. He said he was late to take his mother to watch her favorite soap opera. My editor heard me and said that the same happens in Bulgaria. She said, "When the Turkish soap opera starts, the country almost comes to a standstill, waiting for its favorite characters." People in the office also exchange the latest news from the episodes as if they are discussing their own families' troubles.

These soap operas reflect the real life of a country and the people's habits, clothes and all. It gave the impression that Turkish people live in a very liberal atmosphere. It was surprising to find out that Turkish Airlines can ban its hostesses from using sexy lipstick colors.

If it were to happen in case of a Saudi Airline, I would have understood the change. What's it with the lipstick? Does it freak out the passengers or the children? Why the ban? Is it considered indecent make-up? Are they afraid of an assault from passengers who could possibly be mesmerized by the hostesses' lip color? Or are they trying to avoid clashes on the plane as passengers squabble over airhostesses, and want to play it safe and ensure a smooth flight? This news reminded me of a theatre play called: "No Sex Please, We're British." Now, I say: "No lipstick please, we're Turkish!" Whatever you decide, Turkish Airlines, I wish you good luck!

By Badrya Darwish
badrya_d@kuwaittimes.net

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/batavia-news
to Subscribe via email :
batavia-news-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
----------------------------------------
VISIT Batavia News Blog
http://batavia-news-networks.blogspot.com/
----------------------------
You could be Earning Instant Cash Deposits
in the Next 30 Minutes
No harm to try - Please Click
http://tinyurl.com/bimagroup 
--------------
MARKETPLACE


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment